Restaurants prepare and sell a physical product that can quickly spoil. Most of them, unless they’re part of a chain, are small businesses operating on thin margins — about 6%, according to one financial statement analysis.
Food delivery apps, by comparison, are larger, more centralized tech companies that benefit from economies of scale. When a bunch of their clients go out of business, so what? New restaurants will open to meet consumer demand. If delivery apps don’t care about the survival of individual restaurants, it’s because they don’t have to.
But in times like these where a lot of people who were dependent on tourism, hotels, catering, etc, the pandemic has hit so hard that a lot of them are almost starving. The entire industry is suffering and will do so if the food delivery industry doesn’t help.
Meanwhile, it doesn’t take too much time to make an app that accomodates all. Let me tell you about this in detail.
How does a food delivery app work
The best food delivery apps have four main aspects covering the entire process from when the user places an order until the final feedback.
- The User Front
- The Restaurant/caterer Aspect
- Logistics and Delivery
- Set-up and Clean-up
The User Front:
- The user downloads the food delivery app, creates a profile, username, and password to log into the app.
- Selects the food items from the curated menu as per the day of week or occasion.
- Each dish can be chosen based on cuisines, distance, price, sanitary regulations being followed, nutrition value and calorie count, and customized dietary restrictions, etc.
- Select the time of delivery.
- Finalize order and make payment
- The meals are delivered to the venue at the specified time.
The Restaurant / Caterer Aspect
Your in-house team needs to work with the chefs of local restaurants/catering companies and curate a menu of different dishes balanced in terms of taste and nutrition value.
Logistics and Delivery
All food delivery app owners should have their own in-house logistics and delivery system. The logistics teams are the critical link that seamlessly works with the backend team, partner Restaurants/ Caterers, and Corporate Admin/ representative.
Set-Up and Clean-Up
Your delivery partners handle the entire process from the collection of food from the Restaurant / Caterer to delivery to the client venue.
They are in constant communication with the backend team to address any issues (like a shortage, quality of dishes, issues with their order, etc.) at the earliest.
How to build a food delivery app
Developing a food delivery app from scratch is an arduous task. To make a food delivery app, you need to keep key factors in mind before actually taking a plunge into the sea of opportunities. Without a clear roadmap and future action plans, you cannot play long in the marketplace.
Detailed research of the hot trends in the Food Industry
To make a food delivery app that can stand out from your competitors, the first crucial step is to conduct and analyze the market trends of the food industry. It includes the following aspects
Find Out the technological trends adopted by other players to enhance their food delivery business.
Like you can let foodies order through their social media accounts. Dominos pizza allows foodies to order from their Twitter account. The foodies find it very convenient.
You can additionally add chatbots to order via messengers.
Wearables and food ordering apps for android watches are on the rise. You can integrate such high-end technological features as well.
Dominos again stands out in incorporating the technology suite into its app. So, take lessons from all these hot market trends and make a food delivery app.
Detailed and thorough research of the Market
A through market study prior to developing an app like uber eats is the key. The market consists of your competitors and your customers. So, a keen study of both includes :
- Who are your competitors and what strategy they follow?
- Who are your potential customers?
- How to target potential customers?
- What are the special bonus features to incorporate in the uber eats like apps to gain a competitive edge over your competitors?
- What is the buying and spending capacity of your target audience?
- How can you cater to real-world solutions to the pain point of your customer?
Go ahead to make a food delivery app after clarifying all the above points. Find real answers to these questions.
Choosing the right Food Delivery model
to meet your business goals and to make a food delivery app viable, you need to choose the most befitting business model.
There are basically 2 types of food delivery model:
- Pick up model
- Order and delivery model
As the term suggests, the food platform only accepts and processes the order. They provide no delivery support. The restaurants handle delivery functions. In such a model, the revenue comes from fees from the partnering restaurants. Delivery.com, just eat are examples of order only models.
Order And Delivery Model
You should always make a food delivery app on order and delivery model just like Ubereats. The restaurant’s partners process the order and the logistic system is provided by the food platform. Thus, as a whole, the food delivery app is responsible for order acceptance, processing, and delivering the food order.
As per your business needs, sources at your disposal, and investment level you can go ahead to make a food delivery app based on any one business model.
Select the right features for your food delivery mobile application
Below mentioned features are quite important for any food delivery mobile application to work.
A customer panel.of your food delivery app like Ubereats should have the following features:
- User-friendly interface
- Easy login and account creation
- To search and view nearby restaurants
- Order and cancel food coherently
- Reorder from the history of orders
- Seamless payment options
- Offers and discounts
- Push notifications
Delivery Men Panel
Your food delivery app should be convenient to use for delivery men as well. They should be provided features like:
- Easy sign-up
- Receive an order to deliver
- Set availability status
- In-app navigation to track delivery location exactly
- Earning summary
- Multi delivery management
It’s the panel for restaurants and eateries who wish to be a part of the platform to earn. This panel should have the following features
- Easy signup
- Add menu and reference pictures
- Easily add or remove items from the menu
- Receive orders
- Accept or reject orders
- Manage delivery
- Manage payouts
The dashboard of the food delivery app from where all the tasks are handled by the owner. The admin panel of your food delivery app comes with the following features
- Restaurant management
- Delivery management
- Multilingual capabilities
- Promotions of offer and discounts
- Push notifications to all delivery boys, restaurants and customers
- Manage payouts
- Track earnings
- Manage all transactions
- Area wise map location
- Statistical report
Make sure to incorporate the maximum above mentioned features while you make a food delivery app.
Build your food delivery app using the best technology
While building an app like Ubereats, it’s imperative to stack up your food delivery app with the right technology to provide a seamless experience of ordering food to the foodies. Below listed are essential technologies used by us to make a food delivery app like Ubereats
- iPhone/Android: React Native App
- Backend: Node.js/Express.js, MongoDB, Nginx, Sockets.io
- Frontend: React.js, Redux, Material UI
- Server: AWS EC2, S3
- APIs: Twilio for SMS, Google Maps
Stacking Up all these technologies together, we make a food delivery app to suit the business needs of yours and customize it to build the best food delivery app just for you.
Hire an experienced mobile app development company: l
Last but not the least, hiring an experienced mobile app development company will help you smoothen your process, pains and app tremendously. Yes, a good and expericence mobile app development company like Archisys with an agile team of experts composed of experts of varied technological fields will get your job done in an expert manner.
The team of experts should have the following :
- Android and IOS developers
- Front and backend developers
- Test engineers
- UI designer
- DevOps experts
- Project manager
Apart from developing an app from scratch, you can opt for ready-made solutions that can be customised just for you, suiting your business needs. To make a food delivery app, we are here to cater to all your food delivery business needs.
What is the cost of building a food delivery app
The cost of developing a really good food delivery app can come somewhere near $6,000 to $10,000.
The budget can further shoot up to $20,000 if there is app development for restaurant
Different factors which sum up to decide your cost of developing food delivery app:
- Firstly, the density of the features in your food delivery app will decide the cost. There is a directly proportional relationship between the features and the cost. More the features, the higher the cost.
- Secondly, the hired experts to make a food delivery app development will also determine the cost. The availability of the experts and the size or number of experts in the team will totally constitute the cost.
- Thirdly, the platform you chose will also play a determining factor in the cost. Generally, today the food delivery app is built so as to be compatible both in android and IOS.
Additionally, let me give you the country-wise insights based upon the location of developing a food delivery app.
- India: $10 to $ 80 per hour
- Europe: $30 to $150 per hour
- Us: $50 to $250 per hour
So, the cost range will constitute the charges charged by the food delivery app development company for mobile app design, both for android and ios version of the app, app testing, and launching of your food delivery app.
The growing on-demand food delivery business is encouraging many players to enter the industry but you have to remember only the fittest survive. So, build a food delivery app that can survive the challenges and overcome it and shine among the competitors. Now, that you read all till the end of the blog, you are now enriched with knowledge. So, get started without any delay and develop the best food delivery app platform.
If you want to know why the dedicated developer model is a better approach then you can click on this line to know more.
If you are yet to find developers for your app development project then you can begin by consulting us. We know what drives customer expectations in this space and have already done and delivered many mobile applications.
If you are still confused about buiding a food delivery app even after reading the step by step guide to make an app in 10 easy steps, I would suggest consulting with us at Archisys and we will help you with finding the best solution for you based on your requirement and budget.
Do not worry, even though we are India’s one of the best mobile app development companies we still prefer providing the first two consultations for free!