There is a famous saying that ‘Opportunity knocks the door only once’.
It’s a very tough and difficult situation that every humankind is going through these days. Roads, Cinemas, Shopping malls, Grocery stores, Airports, Railway stations and many other services have been closed till further notice. I don’t intend to sound too harsh but many countries have declared complete nationwide lockdowns and the rest of countries are planning to do it.
Here are some shocking statistics that will make you realize the seriousness of the situation.
- One-third of the global population is on Coronavirus lockdown.
- India, China, France, Italy, New Zealand, Poland, Ireland, Germany, Kuwait and the UK have implemented the world’s largest and most restrictive mass quarantines.
- Spain, Italy, Denmark, Austria, and the Czech Republic has already imposed restrictions and lockdown for safety measures.
- Since the lockdown, in Italy all aspects of life for its 60 million citizens, including retail, leisure, worship, imprisonment, and travel are affected.
- Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison told that the people of Australia should be prepared “to completely change the way they are going to live for the next six months at least”.
- The latest research report by the New York Times says most developing countries may continue lockdown till more than 1-2 month. The report also claims once lockdown and corona waves pass it’d still be a bit hard for every country to get back to their normal routine.
Now Let’s talk about the most important part of the topic. The one-third population are locked down in their homes which means they will definitely need the essential things & supplies like Grocery, Medicine, Laboratory Tests, Seamless Electricity and Water connections, etc.
We all know that Logistics are one for the well-established service businesses. They have everything from drivers to transportation and right now, everyone is focusing on supplying essential services.
- People are afraid to go out and buy groceries for themselves.
- In India Popular food delivery apps like Zomato, Swiggy, FoodPanda are now shifting from Food order delivery to Grocery ordering and delivery.
- Global Shopping Apps like Amazon, Walmart show a dramatic spike in Grocery orders nowadays.
- In Europe and America, construction companies, lift & maintenance companies and logistics companies have now started providing grocery and other essential services with the help of their network.
So as a well-established logistics or service business owner it is your opportunity to switch to Grocery ordering and provide your people with daily essentials in a safe and effective way. Now a lot of people may have questions like how can we suddenly shift to that? Well, it’s a logical question for any businessman.
First of all, you should know how grocery ordering works.
Archisys has a lot of experience and it’s our forte to create successful Grocery Ordering and Delivery Apps. So with the experience and learning in hand, we have prepared a quick guide for you to set up a successful grocery supply from local stores to the customers by using your existing facilities.
Confirm your Operative Areas or Cities
First and foremost, have a list of employees who are willing to work during these days because at the end of the day they have to deliver the orders. After that find out the best areas or cities where you can operate. It’s advisable to cover all the areas in your cities, analyse the densely populated residential areas within your city. Once finalized, allocate manpower accordingly.
Find Out Supplier/Vendor or Grocery Store
Once you got your operational cities, find the best supplier or grocery store which can provide all the essentials that the customers may ask for. Once you locate the store, form a tie-up with them for supplying their service as requested by customers. Don’t forget to mention that they need to prioritize your orders right from packaging to billing. Take the product list with the price and other necessary information that customers may ask before buying or ordering and feed it into your system.
Driver and Delivery guys
I’m sure being in a business of logistics and in a service business you might have the proper established network channel of driver and delivery guys. In most cases, the driver is the guy who delivers the order but if you have big vans and trucks then you might have a driver and a delivery guy.
Things to expect from driver & delivery guys
- Pickup order from the store and deliver via the best and optimized route.
- Collect the cash in a contactless way if the customer opts for cash on delivery.
- Take the Digital Signature of the customer once the order is delivered.
- Collect returns for damaged or non-perishable items if the customer requests.
- Update the statuses so that customers have clarity of orders.
Grocery Mobile or Web App for customers
When I was researching for this blog a lot of people told me that there’s no need to develop an app, we can take orders via WhatsApp or phone and deliver the order. It’s a simple process, why complicate the things? It sounds practical but hard to implement. I told them to think practically and answer my questions.
- What if the customer asks for product details like manufacturing details, ingredients, shelf life, etc.?
- How do you keep a record of what your customers order? (For maintaining stocks, future marketing or advertising purposes)
- How do you manage the product lists, price and other things every time when your vendor updates or in times when people are constantly buying?
- What if a customer asks for an item return due to defect?
- What do you suggest then? How should a mobile app be?
- How can you be so sure about all of these?
Well, the need of the hour is to supply the groceries as soon as possible instead of creating a mobile app with too many functionalities like amazon, Bigbasket and all and our nature of business is not to compete with them but provide service to the needy people. This means that a simple, basic and yet effective mobile app for customers would do the job.
What Features you should go for in the first roll-out
- Customer Registration: You can ask your customer to sign up with just a mobile number or email address so that you have data for the future too.
- Easy Search: A search tool where users can search what they are looking for.
- Product Categories: Dedicated section where you can add products in a simple form from the backend and customers can see the products category-wise like Fruits & Vegetables, Dairy Products, Snacks & Beverages etc.
- User Profile: Have a basic user profile where he/she can enter the name, email address, locations for delivery.
- Cart: Simple carting functionality with multiple payment options.
- Past Orders: Section where users can see all the past/recent orders in once place.
- Track Order: Most demanded and necessary thing for a Grocery app is order-tracking where users can see when and which time their order will arrive.
- Contactless Delivery: A safe and secure way in which the delivery person can deliver ordered items without having to touch the box/bag or the customer (i.e. while maintaining social distance).
- Cashless Payment: Integrated payment gateways that can help customers pay online instead of cash in order to prevent the pandemic from spreading in any way.
- Customer Support: If Customer has any problems/doubts or complaints about any product he can contact the support centre anytime.
- Delivery or Driver App: This app only will be used by delivery or drivers where they get a notification or new order pickup from the store/vendor. Update statuses and view customer details like delivery address and contact number.
‘Your people need you now more than ever!’
Create easy to use grocery and delivery apps and provide them with contactless delivery with cashless options for a safe and secure buying of the essential household items. It’s not as hard as you might think.
Archisys is an award-winning mobile app development company recognized by Clutch and Good firms. We have plenty of experience and expertise to create applications like these. Check out the service we provide in Grocery order and delivery app by clicking here
You are just one step away from being the Superhero. Let us know and we will design a cape just for you!
Hello@archisys.co is the answer to all your questions.